Cultural references for freshmen from Beloit College's Mindset List
(AP) -- Most students entering college this fall were born in 1985. To
1. Ricky Nelson, Richard Burton, Samantha Smith, Laura Ashley, Orson
Welles, Karen Ann Quinlin, Benigno Aquino, and the U.S. Football
League have always been dead.
2. They are not familiar with the source of that "Giant Sucking
3. Iraq has always been a problem.
4. "Ctrl Alt Del" is as basic as "ABC."
5. Paul Newman has always made salad dressing.
6. Pete Rose has always been a gambler.
7. Bert and Ernie are old enough to be their parents.
8. An automatic is a weapon, not a transmission.
9. Russian leaders have always looked like leaders everyplace else.
10. The snail darter has never been endangered.
11. There has always been a screening test for AIDS.
12. Gas has always been unleaded.
13. They never heard Howard Cosell call a game on ABC.
14. The United States has always had a Poet Laureate.
15. Garrison Keillor has always been live on public radio and Lawrence
Welk has always been dead on public television.
16. Their families drove SUVs without "being fuelish."
17. There has always been some association between fried eggs and your
18. They would never leave their calling card on someone's desk.
19. They have never been able to find the "return" key.
20. Computers have always fit in their backpacks.
21. Datsuns have never been made.
22. They have never gotten excited over a telegram, a long distance
call, or a fax.
23. The Osmonds are just talk show hosts.
24. College athletes have always been a part of the NBA and NFL
25. They have always "grazed" for food.
26. Three-point shots from "downtown" have always been a part of
27. Test tube babies are now having their own babies.
28. Stores have always had scanners at the checkout.
29. The Army has always driven Humvees.
30. Adam and PC Junior computers had vanished from the market before
this generation went online.
31. The Statue of Liberty has always had a gleaming torch.
32. They have always had a pin number.
33. Banana Republic has always been a store, not a puppet government
in Latin America.
34. Car detailing has always been available.
35. Directory assistance has never been free.
36. The Jaycees have always welcomed women as members.
37. There has always been Lean Cuisine.
38. They have always been able to fly Virgin Atlantic.
39. There have never been dress codes in restaurants.
40. Doctors have always had to deal with "reasonable and customary
fees" and patients have always had controls placed on the number
of days they could stay in a hospital.
41. They have always been able to make photocopies at home.
42. Michael Eisner has always been in charge of Disney.
43. They have always been able to make phone calls from planes.
44. Yuppies are almost as old as hippies.
45. Rupert Murdoch has always been an American citizen.
46. Strawberry Fields have always been in New York.
47. Rock and Roll has always been a force for social good.
48. Killer bees have always been swarming in the U.S.
49. They have never seen a First Lady in a fur coat.
50. Don Imus has always been offending someone in his national
In all fairness it should be understood that students entering college
this fall do have a few items on their own lists that will separate
them from many of their mentors:
1. For many of them today, it's all about the "bling, bling."
2. They know who the "Heroes in a half shell" are.
3. Peeps are not a candy, they are your friends.
4. They have been "dissing" and "burning" things all their lives.
5. They can expect to get a ticket for "ricing out their wheels."
6. They knew how to pop a Popple and trade a Pog.
7. They can still sing the rap chorus to the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
and the theme song from "Duck Tales."
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Tue Jun 09 2009 - 05:00:07 EDT